Arrival:
After the flight from MN to Amsterdam then Cork I was very tired and much to my mom's dismay, at 19, almost fell asleep with my face in a bowl of noodles, jerked awake and almost cried. After a good 2 hour sleep I was ready to go out exploring my new city and that my mom and i did. We got lost the first few days (or first week), but had fun looking at all the random stores and visiting the cafe's and pubs. Very cute city! And the people were al very very friendly. During this time we walked around the college and set up my room in my new apartment. Everything went very smooth. My stepdad joined us a bit later in the week with my boxes and other suitcases which was a load! After setting up my room the three of us just had fun exploring the rest of Cork going to Blarney, Cobh, Fota Zoo, and other places. The first week and a half I was there went fast. It hot all too soon when my parents had to go back to MN and I was there by myself as my flat mates had yet to move in. Saying goodbye was a bit sad, but we all knew it had to happen. And thinking about it the trip home for Christmas break was only 4 months away.
Classes and First Part of Fall
About 20 days after my parents left, classes started. I had to do some international registration stuff so I had to be there a bit earlier. I was accepted into the year 2 Social Science program as I did my first year back home. I took up loads of classes mostly sociology then other core classes such as economics and social policy- not fun. I cannot say I actually attend those classes as they put me to sleep, so I choose to go to the library copy the notes down then read a chapter on that days topic- much more time worthy if you ask me.
About 3 days before classes started my flat mates- 3 from IE, and a semester student from Scotland, had moved their stuff in and we slowly all got to know each other. They helped introduce me to Irish culture from a college students point of view- which was drinking and going out- a bit different then the culture I was used to. I learned quickly that most Americans are lightweights or compared to the Irish and you shouldn't try to keep up. It's not worth it :)
Second Part Fall
In the second half of fall, meaning November onward, projects, papers, and a presentation really came into play... not that I have done any of it due this Friday- except the presentation which was a group thing done last Friday. Everything is much more in routine now, I know what classes I should/want to attend and which classes I am capable of teaching my self the materials.
After November hit, I was still not homesick in the least, but did miss American food. I was also starting to be a little sad about missing Thanksgiving as it is always such a great family day. I ended up ended up being back in America for Thanksgiving, and as much as I enjoyed it,I wish I hadn't had the option to go home. I still wish I could say I went home for Thanksgiving versus I went home for my Grammy's memorial.
The hardest part all semester was the call that I had been dreading in the way back of my mind. My Gram got her death sentence 30 years ago with the diagnosis of emphysema after smoking for almost 40 years. She, in the end suffocated to death because of it, not to mention a whole other series of health issues throughout her life. I still feel a bit guilty for not being with her when she passes as the entire family, except for a cousin who attends college outside of Boston. The last person to talk to her and that she talked to via the phone was me. She had been out of it for a while but my mom put the phone by her year and I spoke with her. The last conversation with the woman I aspire to be went along with me telling her I was great and her response- through gasps of air- "I'm great too. I am going to try to make it for you." I then told her she can go it's ok and I understand if she can't make it and she said, "I know that, I love you so so much." I told her the same and we hung up. She died 20 minutes after that call. She left me with her most prized and treasured possession- her wedding band which she wore for almost 55 years. I can say that is the hardest thing so far this year. She was amazing and everything I want to be.
Thanksgiving
Because my Gram died I got to go home. While I was at home I heard news that Cork City Had flooded and the university would be shut down for a week and reopen November 30th. Because the city flooded and college was closed, my group presentation was set off until December 4. Because my presentation was delayed I had my plane ticket switched for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. My cousin from Boston got to come home too. He wasn't going to be home either. It's funny how things play out.
One Week Left
I now have a single week left to get everything done, to pack and clean. First semester has been a great one, can't wait for the second semester. I'm loving my life here and everything is amazing. In a way it is like this has always been my home. I go to the city by myself, something i didn't do in St. Paul, I cook, and clean everything by myself. I think in a way, living back in MN although not at home still too suffocated by my parents. They didn't encourage me to come home, but they were there and did visit and cook for me. I know, minus finances, am independent. It's been good and will hopefully just get better.
Until next time- which hopefully isn't April ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment