"Oh you're studying economics." -First encounter with an odd woman from town.
"Be who you are. Truly are." -Second encounter a few months later.
"You are special. You were born knowing what you wanted to do, too little to know what your dream was. You were born to live your dream. Not just anybody is created like you. It may be unintentional, but your doing it anyway. And people love it."
-given to me by this lady (who is starting to scare me-she wears lace and butterflies in her hair) on recycled paper last Wednesday.
I have come to a conclusion recently; I love, love, love Ireland with all my heart, but hate what i am studying. I came there for a change, thinking I would find what I was meant to do, but have only learned that it is not the location that bothers me, but my options.
I am the honor roll student, quiet, respectful, punctual, and tactful. I get along with nearly everybody, am open minded and always live my life to the fullest. After 2 years of college and a life time of dreaming, I no longer want to go into something because it is "expected of me." I want to live out my little girl ambitions. Be who I wanted to be at age 3, and no it was not a princess :)
I am not homesick in the least, and enjoying Ireland everyday rain or shine, but looking about, my dream is not here.
Do I tell my parents that i want to move back to the US and attempt my dream, that may very well turn to a nightmare? Do I stay here to please everyone but myself and get a mainstream career because it's what I was brought up to do?
So many questions that I need answers to, so many people I could disappoint, and so many ways it can change my own life for the better or the worse.
Megan
ReplyDeleteTwo things come to mind. First robert Frost's poem The Road not taken and second a song on Songs from the Heart (Nil Se n La) or Carpe Diem (Seize the Day. You are young enough to take chances. At your age I had lived in Asia for 3 years ( Not necessarily by choice) If I hadn't made my choices, I would probably have never left the states.
You will always have your memories of Ireland and the people you have met. With that experience, look into your options and good luck.
By the way, Have you traveled up thru Banteer and Mallow while there? I still have some relatives there.
Jim
Wow Hi jum sorry this is late! Been very busy with exams! I have been to banteer and Mallow and have a couple of friends from Mallow actually- small little town, but cute of course!
ReplyDeleteAnd Thanks a bunch for the reminder f what i have had the opportunity to do! It makes things better. Every move I make is just another adventure in Meganland.